Saturday, June 2, 2012

FIVE EASY STEPS TO PERFECT CANDIDS

1) < BE PREPARED >
  • Always having your camera ready is key to capturing beautiful candid photos.  Especially when you are taking photos of children things move pretty quickly, you have to be ready.  If you take the time to run inside and grab your camera the moment will be gone.    

IMG_9417_4414-copy

2) <KEEP IT SIMPLE>
  • When capturing great candid photos don't worry about taking time to "set up" the stage.  A simple natural background is always the best.  Too many props or accessories will distract from the subject. It may be necessary to remove objects that you do not want in the photo such as garbage cans, a hose, tools etc.  Just remember, keep it simple.

IMG_9380_4384-copy

3) <KEEP IT NATURAL>
  • This goes right along with keeping it simple.  I like the subjects in my photos to be natural.  Children playing with a puppy, couples talking and laughing, families playing and talking, anything they would be doing naturally.  Sometimes you want a more posed picture but candids aren't candids if they are posed.  You can have your subjects looking at you and smiling -- there is nothing wrong with that -- those are some of the best photos.  I just always strive for a natural, easy going feeling in my photos.
IMG_9378_4382-copy

4) <BE A FLY ON THE WALL>
  • Sometime when I am trying to capture a special moment I wish I could be a fly on the wall and bop around snapping fun pictures without anyone knowing.  Most of the time when your subjects know you are taking pictures of them they stop whatever they are doing and look right at you and your camera.  Be sneaky.  Try lots of different angles.  I move around constantly when I am shooting a subject.  Even if my subject is just sitting and not moving, I move all around them shooting at very different angles.  Shoot from the side, behind, under, above, etc., any way you can think of.  Plus, it's more fun! 
IMG_9391_4391-copy


5) <DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS>
  • Photography is all about capturing and holding on to special memories.  That is why I love it!  When you are shooting special subjects you want to remember what shoes they were wearing, did they have paint on their face, were they barefoot or did they have mismatched socks, what made them who they were at that point in time, etc. etc. I love capturing every detail in my shoots.  It helps you remember the specific thing your children were doing that day.   
collage-1

No comments:

Post a Comment